Bank issues RM5 Polymer BanknotesRef No : 10/04/41 (BN) 26 Oct 2004 Embargo : For immediate release
The security features in the existing RM5 paper banknotes retained in the new RM5 polymer banknotes are:
- the see through feature in stylised hibiscus which are perfectly registered on the front and back of the banknotes when held against the light;
- the intaglio printing of a multi layered special ink on the portrait of the first Seri Paduka Baginda Yang DiPertuan Agong; and
- the micro lettering of "RM5" which can be viewed under magnifying glass.
- A clear window with the shadow image of the Prime Minister's Office at Putrajaya and an embossed printing of the numeral "5", both of which are visible from either side of the banknote.
- Bank Negara Malaysia's logo the Kijang, printed in white and visible on either side of the note. On the back of the banknote, it will appear as a non-transparent window, with the Kijang Logo seen clearly.
Polymer substrate banknotes are more durable, non-porous, more resistant to dirt and liquid and not easily torn. The new polymer banknotes are therefore expected to last longer. To maximise the benefits of its longevity the public are advised that the new banknotes should not be folded with pressure.
The new polymer banknotes can be obtained at all Bank Negara Malaysia branches and the commercial bank branches. More information on the new RM5 polymer banknotes can be obtained from Bank Negara Malaysia's website at www.bnm.gov.my and information leaflets at all licensed financial institutions.
Bank Negara Malaysia
26 Oct 2004
© Bank Negara Malaysia, 2004. All rights reserved.