How to lodge complaints on merchants imposing a surcharge or minimum purchase amount for payment card transactionsRelease Date: 23 Mar 2018
Information required (Please refer to the images below)
- Your personal details (e.g. full name, NRIC number, phone number)
- Full name of merchant;
- Address of merchant;
- Name of the merchant acquirer – institution that provides payment terminals - (which can be found on the top part of the payment card transaction slip or the payment card terminal); and
- Evidence that the merchant is imposing a surcharge or minimum purchase amount (e.g. transaction receipt with the surcharge amount, notice displayed at the retailers’ outlet which indicates that a surcharge or minimum purchase amount will be imposed)
How to submit a complaint?
You may lodge a complaint to the merchant acquirer who provides payment card acceptance facility to the retailer or alternatively to your payment card issuer:
- Visit https://telelink.bnm.gov.my/ to access the online form
- Select the name of the merchant acquirer or payment card issuer from the list of ‘Institutions’
- Fill in the form and provide details of the complaint as stated above; and
- Click on ‘Submit’
Please take note
Lodging a complaint will facilitate the merchant acquirers to take the necessary action to ensure that merchants cease imposing surcharges or minimum purchase amount on payment card transactions, or to offer another electronic payment mode without surcharges or minimum purchase amount. However, this does not guarantee that the complainant will receive a refund of any surcharge paid to the merchant.
Members of the public who do not wish to pay the surcharge or abide by the minimum purchase amount imposed by a merchant are advised to purchase goods and services from another merchant that does not impose a surcharge or minimum purchase amount.
For further information and enquiries, please contact our BNM Telelink Contact Centre at 1300-88-5465 or e-mail to email@example.com.
Sample of transaction receipt with a surcharge
Alternatively, members of the public can contact BNMTELELINK at 1-300-88-5465 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
© Bank Negara Malaysia, 2020. All rights reserved.