Essential Financial Services to Remain Accessible to Households and BusinessesRef No : 03/20/05 17 Mar 2020 Embargo : For immediate release
Pursuant to the Government’s measure to restrict movement nationwide from 18 March until 31 March to contain the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM) confirms that the public will continue to have nation-wide access to essential financial services.
To this end, all banking institutions, development financial institutions, insurance companies and takaful operators will ensure the continued operation of:
- Uninterrupted access to self-service terminals (e.g. ATMs, cash deposit machines) at all branches and accessible locations under the Government’s Movement Control Order;
- Electronic banking, mobile banking, money changing and remittance services, payment card services and any other online services;
- Processing and approval of new loans or financing applications; and
- Processing and handling of insurance/takaful claims, issuance of guarantee letters and annual renewal of insurance policies/takaful certificates.
The branches of these financial service providers will remain open during this containment period to provide essential services to the public. Members of the public are advised to refer to their provider’s website or customer service hotlines for further information on services available at the provider’s premises during this period. We urge all members of the public to remain calm and patient as the financial service providers roll-out their respective crowd containment and management measures to ensure the safety and health of their customers and employees are prioritized and preserved throughout this period.
In addition, selected non-bank money changers and remittance service providers will open at least three days in a week to ensure availability of money changing and remittance services throughout this period. Members of the public should refer to the MSB Advisor app or websites of specific operators for more details.
All e-payment providers have also been advised to ensure no interruptions to all payments and money transfer facilities transacted through their customers’ e-wallets and e-accounts.
The Malaysian financial market will remain accessible and open as per regular trading hours throughout this period. To this end, BNM will continue to provide sufficient liquidity in the foreign exchange, bond and money markets to ensure uninterrupted financial intermediation.
Members of the public are strongly encouraged to use electronic and online services to facilitate social distancing to ensure effective containment of COVID-19. Households and businesses who are facing financial distress resulting from the COVID-19 outbreak are advised to contact their financial service provider early to discuss alternative repayment measures.
Members of the public are also advised to remain vigilant on scams related to COVID-19, which may be promoted in many forms through social media, emails or phone calls, to take advantage of the public in such emergencies.
Members of the public should contact the customer service centers of financial service providers directly for enquiries or assistance.
The contact points for industry associations of financial service providers are listed below:
- Association of Banks Malaysia (ABM) - 03 2078 8041 or ABM Connect at 1-300-88-9980 or https://www.abm.org.my/eabmconnect
- Association of Islamic Banking and Financial Institutions Malaysia (AIBIM) - 03 2026 8002/8003 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Association of Development Financial Institutions Malaysia (ADFIM) - 03 2694 9871 or email@example.com
- Life Insurance Association of Malaysia (LIAM) - 03 2691 6168/6628 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Persatuan Insurans Am Malaysia (PIAM) - 03 2274 7399 or email@example.com
- Malaysian Takaful Association (MTA) - 03 2031 8160 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Malaysian Association of Money Services Business (MAMSB) - 03 7722 5808 or email@example.com
BNMLINK services for walk-in visitors will not be available to the public from 18 March until 31 March 2020. However, members of the public can contact BNM through these following channels or refer to the BNM website at www.bnm.gov.my for further updates:
- eLINK (https://telelink.bnm.gov.my/); or
- BNMTELELINK (Tel: 1-300-88-5465) from Monday to Friday (9.00 a.m. - 5.00 p.m.
Bank Negara Malaysia
17 Mar 2020
© Bank Negara Malaysia, 2020. All rights reserved.